The Bacal Bui was among them, in 1839 the Dean sold the cross to the Royal Irish Academy for 100 guineas, this was not a popular act with the people of Cong. crosses (objects) Work Technique. It was presented to Father Flanagan upon his final visit to his home country in 1946 by Peter Doyle, the Lord Mayor of Dublin. It was meant to invoke awe. The Cross of Cong The Cross of Cong which now lies in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin was discovered in Cong around 1929. chain. It was probably used there for very special occasions in the following centuries, but would have been hidden among locals and members of religious orders in their own homes due to persecution against Catholics during the Penal Laws. He was the preserver of the Cross of Cong. It was used by monks intermittently, with the last abbot being Fr. The Ardagh Chalice deposed what is known as the Cross of Cong from the proud position of chief among the works of art in the museum. Chains available in different lengths on reques He snatched the cross and returned it to its rightful place, Cong. A highlight of craftsmanship from a time when Ireland was run by Kings, and religious artefacts were prized and revered. The Cross of Cong was made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the True Cross that was brought to Ireland and displayed in different places around the country. Over the following centuries the abbey was attacked more than once, first by the Norman knight William de Burgh, and later by Henry VIII, who suppressed the abbey in 1542 and instigated its slow decline. One abbot remained as the parish priest and this situation continued until 1829 when the last abbot died. It stands 30 inches high, and the breadth of the arms is 19 inches. Despite his efforts, some antiquarians had come to know of its existence. Luckily, his dangerous gamble paid off! While on the surface this may seem like just an elaborate gift and a cementing of an alliance, many historians believe that it was in fact more than that. Prendergast, revealed on his deathbed that he had been keeping it hidden in his belongings for decades. The museum is open from 10am to 5pm, Tuesday to Saturday and from 2pm to 5pm on Sundays. The 16th century brought persecution and hardship to the religious orders in Ireland and the Augustinians were forced to leave Cong. Lavelle, successfully stole the cross from the Academy. Description This is the first detailed study of the Cross of Cong, one of Ireland’s great national treasures. 38s Donegal annals, however, distinctly state that Ruodri Ua Concobair, Kingof Connaught and of all Ireland, both the Irish and English, died among the can-ons at Cong, after exemplary penance, victorious over the world and the devil. His successor Fr Pat Lavelle was appointed in 1869, he was a well known Fenian sympathiser and a rebel within the religious order. Before the phenomenon of The Quiet Man, however, Cong was noteworthy because of its 13th century Augustinian abbey, which contains some of the finest examples of medieval religious architecture in Ireland. The Cross of Cong, now a prominent exhibit in the Hiberno-Norse/Romanesque collection, preserved in the National Museum of Ireland, is one of the finest exemplars of Celtic metalwork. By patronising the church in this way, he could expect support from the church for his political ambitions 1. Can be set with a choice of Cubic Zirconia stones or Connemara Marble as pictured. The Cross of Cong from Shannon, Ireland. The Cross of Cong is … The Home of Christ Church Congregational Church. The ostensive equalities of count and proportion of measures, however, do not extend inwards along the arms, nor upwards from the cross's centre. It would have been mounted on top of a long wooden pole when used in public, carried up the centre aisle of the church at the head of the procession, and then removed from its staff and placed on the altar. Made to enshrine a relic of Christ’s Cross in the early twelfth century under the patronage of the high king Turlough O’Connor, it was one of the most important reliquaries in medieval Ireland. Cong Abbey was suppressed sometime after 1542 and later fell into ruins. Irish. Do you know if there’s any consensus on what the animal is at the base of the cross? He then inscribed his name and title on it, adding ‘High King of Ireland’ for good measure, and handed it over to Tuam. Eileen was so nice to even include a little Card with my birthday wishes and some chocolates(...). Glass beads (some of which are now missing) are placed at intervals along the sides and down the centre of each arm of the cross, and in the meeting point of the arms is a dome of crystal glass which once held the relic – now also missing! A mix of early Celtic style decoration and Viking styles of the 11th and 12th century, the Cross of Cong is just one of the treasures at the National Museum of Archaeology in Dublin. It’s no secret that for centuries, the people of Ireland have been expert craftsmen. The Cross of Cong The Cross of Cong The Cross of Cong was made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the True Cross that was brought to Ireland and displayed in different places around the country. The Gaelic inscriptions ask for prayers for Turlach O’ Connor, King of Eirinn, for two church dignitaries of the family of O’ Duffy and for the Irish artist who created the cross, Maoiliosa O’ Echan. ca. It is a magnificent piece of work that is said to have held a piece of the true cross. To make it not only magnificent, but important and revered as well, Tairrdelbach made his cross a reliquary – a container for a relic – by placing in it a piece of the purported ‘true cross’, the wooden cross used to crucify Jesus. It was made by order of Turlogh O'Conor, king of Connaught, for the church of Tuam, then governed by Archbishop Muredach O'Duffy. You can find more info here on The National Museum of Ireland, they may be able to provide an answer – https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Collections-Research/Irish-Antiquities-Division-Collections/Collections-List-(1)/Early-Medieval/The-Cross-of-Cong. English: The Cross of Cong is an early 12th-century Irish Christian ornamented cusped processional cross, which was, as an inscription says, made for Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair († 1156), King of Connacht and High King of Ireland to donate to the Cathedral church of the period that was located at Tuam, County Galway, Ireland. Its edges were studded with precious stones and a large crystal in the centre covered the relic enshrined in the cross. The inscription (in old Irish) on the cross includes requests for prayers for King Turlough O’Connor, for Murredach O’Duffy, Chief Senior Bishop of Connacht, for Flannacann O’Duffy, Abbot of Roscommon (expressed as ‘Comarba of Comain and Ciaran’) under whose superintendence the shrine was made, and lastly a prayer for MacBraddan O’Echan who made the Shrine. The cross was guarded by the Augustinians of Cong and was placed on the altar only on very special occasions. He attempted to make a run for the train station so he could return the cross to its rightful home in Cong, but was arrested before making it onto the train. Hisbody was conveyed to Clonmacnois, and interred on the north side of the altar. The Cross of Cong is a processional cross, a type of cross common at the time for – you guessed it – ceremonial processions! The cross may be described as made of wood sheeted with cast bronze panels of animal motifs, and sheet-silver embellished with … The Cross of Cong. MAYO. With the ornate and elaborate decoration that covers the cross, you’d be forgiven for thinking that it is made entirely from a solid piece of metal. Another inscription also states that ‘in this cross is preserved the cross on which the founder of the world suffered’. Location. 38s Donegal annals, however, distinctly state that Ruodri Ua Concobair, Kingof Connaught and of all Ireland, both the Irish and English, died among the can-ons at Cong, after exemplary penance, victorious over the world and the devil. The relic of the True Cross, missing since before Father Prendergast discovered it, was mounted at the junction of the shaft and arms, beneath a piece of rock crystal, which enabled it to be seen. The Cross of Cong is such a magnificent treasure that by having it made O’Conor was displaying his wealth and power 1. Well, quite a lot, actually. The True Cross was probably sent by Pope Callistus II to O’Conor as king of Ireland – by being given a fragment to keep, O’Conor could claim that the Pope recognised him as king of Ireland 1. Underneath the decorative surface of the cross are two important symbols. The uppermost segment of the cross has a quite different, and somewhat larger, measure. This book is the fruit of many years of research into Irish art of the 11th and 12th centuries with a particular focus on the Cross of Cong. Chains available in different lengths on reques So the kingship of Ireland was up for grabs, and just about everyone wanted it (everyone being the kings of the four provinces Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht). Learn how your comment data is processed. Cong is located on the isthmus connecting Loughs Corrib and Mask, near the towns of Headford and Ballinrobe and the villages of Clonbur, the Neale and Cross. Notes On The Cross Of Cong Electronic reproduction Master and use copy. He gave it to the Royal Irish Academy, who gave it pride of place in the National Museum of Ireland (when they built it 60 years later, that is). 1. Please enquire for details. Like almost all Irish art from this period, animal motifs also feature strongly. The Cross is called the “Bacall Bui” (yellow crozier) and it was commissioned by the king, Turlach O’ Connor and was made in Roscommon in 1123. Artist. unknown (Irish) Date. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. The Cross is one of Ireland’s greatest treasures. Digital Library Federation, December 2002 digitized Print version record © 2019 Mayo Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved. The Cross of Cong is a processional cross, a type of cross common at the time for – you guessed it – ceremonial processions! The Cross of Cong is one of Ireland’s greatest treasures which returns to Mayo after an absence of 170 years. In 1870, however, another parish priest of Cong, Fr. The cross of Cong was made in 1123 in Roscommon at the order of the High King of Ireland of the time, Turlough O'Conor. At this point in Ireland’s history the legendary O’Neill dynasty, who had been High Kings for several generations, had been ousted by Brian Boru. The overall winning story, below, was by Patrick in 6th class. Cross of Cong. Taking the most powerful throne of all required more than just going to war, however – they also needed the backing of the increasingly influential and powerful churches to defeat their foes. About the Cong Cross : When a relic of the True Cross arrived in Ireland in 1123 the Cross of Cong was created to enshrine it. All Rights Reserved. The Cross of Cong, which is 2 feet 6 inches high, is all covered over with elaborate ornamentation of pure Celtic design; and a series of inscriptions in the Irish language along the sides give its full history. Discover Cong Journey to the pretty village of Cong in County Mayo, where the 1952 Oscar-winning movie, The Quiet Man, starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara, was filmed. A walk along the dry canal rekindles memories of the dreaded famine of 1845-1848. As we reflect on the custom jewelry we've been asked to. The Cross of Cong is on public display at the National Museum of Country Life at Turlough Park. On the wooden core of the cross is carved the shape of another cross (now known as a ‘Cross of Lorraine’) which is said to be a symbol for the true cross. The last (nominal) abbot was Father Patrick Prendergast, parish priest of Cong from 1795 until his death in 1829. The staff at the academy was unaware of this however, so he simply walked in, asked to see the cross, and when everyone’s back was turned, ran out of the building with it tucked under his clothes! Later when Christianity was introduced to the country, monasteries were set up all over the island as centres of learning for monks, priests, and anyone willing to dedicate their life to religion. One such beautiful example is the Cross of Cong, a processional cross dating from the 12th century considered to be one of the finest examples of metalwork of its time from Western Europe. The large processional cross, now preserved in the National Museum (RIA Collection), and known as "The Cross of Cong," is undoubtedly one of the finest specimens of metal work, enamel, niello, and jewellery of its age in the western world. It was made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the True Cross. Facts about the Cross of Cong The Cross was made in Roscommon in 1123 as a shrine to house a fragment of the True Cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified A replica of the cross also sits in Roscommon in the church where it started out its life. Stroll around the monastic cloisters and cast your mind back to the psalm chanting monks following the ornate Cross of Cong which is now in the National Museum. Decorative Arts, Utilitarian Objects and Interior Design. After his death, the cross was bought … This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Dean Waldron was the successor and on taking over the Abbot’s house he found several treasures hidden within. The Cross of Cong. The Market Cross in the village commemorates two former abbots of the monastery. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. 2020 has been a challenging year. A church was built at the site of the Abbey in the 7th century, allegedly by Saint Feichin, and the settlement grew up around it. chain. Metropolitan Museum of Art (Cloisters Museum) (New … In fact its interior is actually just a simple wooden cross, covered in several precious metals including gold, silver, copper, bronze and brass as well as enamel and coloured glass. The Cross is called the “Bacall Bui” (yellow crozier) and it was commissioned by the king, Turlach O’ Connor and was made in Roscommon in 1123. The museum is open from 10am to 5pm, Tuesday to Saturday and from 2pm to 5pm on Sundays. The Cross of Cong was made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the True Cross that was brought to Ireland and displayed in different places around the country. Such a significant donation from a man purporting to be the High King – even though he wasn’t – couldn’t help but swing the churches’ alliances over to him, especially when the Pope himself had sent a fragment of the true cross to him thereby endorsing him as a highly influential ruler. One thing is for sure, it would never have been on public display at this time when not in use. Can be set with a choice of Cubic Zirconia stones or Connemara Marble as pictured. Absolutely loved it. It would have been mounted on top of a long wooden pole when used in public, carried up the centre aisle of the church at the head of the procession, and then removed from its staff and placed on the altar. Celtic Cross 36mm on 45 cms. Some 500 years later the High King of Ireland at the time, Turlough Mor O’Connor, founded the abbey there and the town was born. The cross is so-called because it was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, county Mayo, for centuries. This ornate cross is a replica of the famous Cross of Cong that sits in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin. The objects on display are of international significance, not just as archaeological evidence but because collectively and often individually, they represent major landmarks in early European culture. Please select the desired colour from the drop down menu. Not that I am aware of, just that it is described as the heads of beasts. Known as the Cross of Cong this Irish Christian cross is a highlight of craftsmanship from a time when Ireland was run by Kings, and religious artefacts were prized and revered. Either way, the cross was extremely valuable due to both the relic and the extraordinary craftsmanship that went into making it, and would only have been used for very special ceremonies. The Cross was originally known as the Cross of Roscommon since it was made and started its life there. Eventually in 1829 the cross finally emerged from hiding when the last abbot of Cong, Fr. The cross stands 30 inches high and 19 inches wide, and inscriptions along its side offer prayers for Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobhair and the people who helped the cross come into existence and supervised its creation; Muireadhach Ua Dubhthaigh, the Bishop of Connacht, and the man who actually made the shrine, Bratdan O Echan. The Cross of Cong was presented to the Royal Irish Academy in 1839 by James MacCullough. However, metalwork was still just as prevalent as ever with groups of artists slaving over silver chalices, high stone crosses, and altar ornaments. The Cross of Cong last week made its return journey back to Dublin, after spending the last 14 months on view in the Museum of Country Life, Turlough. During the period 750-1150, Irish sculptors working within monasteries created a series of Celtic High Cross Sculptures which constitute the most significant body of free-standing sculpture produced between the collapse of the Roman Empire (c.450) and the beginning of the Italian Renaissance (c.1450). It is oak covered in plates of gilt-bronze, and is highly decorated in interlacing animals and serpents. CROSS OF CONG segment of the arms and each of the outer two segments of the lower element also being equal. Facts about the Cross of Cong The Cross was made in Roscommon in 1123 as a shrine to house a fragment of the True Cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified The Cross of Cong. Patrick Prendergast, who lived there from 1795 until his death in 1829. The 12th century in Ireland however was a time of political turmoil, and there is more to the historical context of this cross than meets the eye. Made of oak and standing 30 inches high with arms extending 19 inches, it is covered with silver and bronze plates washed with gold. The Cross of Cong which now lies in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin was discovered in Cong around 1929. The cross is so-called because it was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, County Mayo, for centuries, however it … Although it was in Tuam for a time, it was transferred to Cong at some point, most likely for safekeeping with the increasing threat of attacks and invasions of religious sites in Ireland. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. At the base of the cross is a stylised beast head with the cross clamped in its mouth – something typical continental art of the time, particularly German crosses. The Celts of early medieval Ireland created stunning gold and silver adornments for themselves like torcs and lunulae; the more ornate the piece, the higher their status in Celtic society, so huge attention to detail was paid to each item. The most comprehensive website on County Mayo in the West of Ireland. It’s still there to this day, although it did enjoy a brief stint in the Country Life exhibit in Castlebar in 2010. metalwork. Although made for the King of Connacht and High King of Ireland, with the intention of him donating it to the Cathedral church in Tuam, county Galway, the cross ended up in Cong Abbey in county Mayo instead (more on that later). One abbot remained as the parish priest and this situation continued until 1829 when the last abbot died. Almost every inch of the cross is covered with gold filigree and strap work, combining Celtic, Viking and Romanesque imagery and designs. The Cross of Cong. Digital Library Federation, December 2002 digitized Print version record It measures 30 inches tall and 19 inches wide and was used as a processional cross. The pieces themselves a(...), The anam cara pendant is perfect. 9K yellow gold cross set with cubic zirconia and a single Connemara marble stone in the centre. - powered by SermonAudio Cross of Cong Sterling silver Cross set with cubic zirconia and a single Connemara marble stone in the centre. This is "Moments in History - Cross of Cong" by Boys Town on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them. Classification. The cross was guarded by the Augustinians of Cong and was placed on the altar only on very special occasions. Cross of Cong. The Cross of Cong is 76cm high, but in procession it was held even higher on a staff or pole. The Cross of Cong is on public display at the National Museum of Country Life at Turlough Park. Incense and candles would also be used during the procession. The inscription (in old Irish) on the cross includes requests for prayers for King Turlough O’Connor, for Murredach O’Duffy, Chief Senior Bishop of Connacht, for Flannacann O’Duffy, Abbot of Roscommon (expressed as ‘Comarba of Comain and Ciaran’) under whose superintendence the shrine was made, and lastly a prayer for MacBraddan O’Echan who made the Shrine. The cross of Cong was made in 1123 in Roscommon at the order of the High King of Ireland of the time, Turlough O'Conor. It is oak covered in plates of gilt-bronze, and is highly decorated in interlacing animals and serpents. On his appointment as parish priest of Cong he travelled to Dublin and at The Royal Irish Academy asked to see the Bacall Bui. The Story of the Cross of Cong. Cong is a small village right on the borders of counties Mayo and Galway, and is actually situated on an island formed by a number of surrounding streams. The cross is richly decorated with designs of intricate interlacing and the carved heads of animals, even the nail heads used are shaped in the head of an animal, evidence of the Scandinavian influence in Irish art. Exquisitely created to house a fragment of the True Cross in 1123, this shrine was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, County Mayo, for centuries. This magnificent piece of 12th century craftsmanship is regarded as one of the finest of its era. The context for this is the vacuum in power that followed the Battle of Clontarf, which both curtailed the Vikings and ended the imperial ambitions of Brian Bóruma. It was made by order of Turlogh O'Conor, king of Connaught, for the church of Tuam, then governed by Archbishop Muredach O'Duffy. Cong is situated on an island formed by a number of streams that surround it on all sides. But the cross would have been lost to history had it not been for the keen eye of an Omaha priest. A known Fenian sympathiser and rebel within the religious order, he was famous for condemning the then leader of the Catholic Church and regularly gave orations on the Irish independence cause. Work Type. You can read some testimonials from our customers here. The cross is so-called because it was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, County Mayo, for centuries, however it … Christmas Shipping: Free Delivery Ireland and UK | For all other countries, we recommend choosing UPS Express at checkout, Handcrafted Irish Jewelry, Inspired by the Past, Sign up for our newsletter & receive 10% off your first order, https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Collections-Research/Irish-Antiquities-Division-Collections/Collections-List-(1)/Early-Medieval/The-Cross-of-Cong, Inspiration: Custom Irish Jewelry Designs. His son Ruaidri was Ireland’s last High King, and spent the last 15 years of his life in the abbey. It has since been transferred to the National Museum in Dublin where it is kept with other national treasures. MAYO. The Cross of Cong from Shannon, Ireland. Strapwork in the (Viking) Urnes style is present on these panels, consisting of snaking designs which the Irish craftsmen adapted into animals. The large processional cross, now preserved in the National Museum (RIA Collection), and known as "The Cross of Cong," is undoubtedly one of the finest specimens of metal work, enamel, niello, and jewellery of its age in the western world. As we reflect on the cross of Cong from 1795 until his death 1829. This time when not in use as we reflect on the custom jewelry we 've been to! And revered first detailed study of the True cross that was brought to Ireland and breadth. Even include a little Card with my birthday wishes and some chocolates...... Priest of Cong and was placed on the altar only on very special occasions back to you years of life. The staff would have been lost to history had it not been for the keen eye of an priest... Of 170 years started its life there the base of the cross was guarded the... Who lived there from 1795 until his death in 1829 for its underground streams that connect Lough cross of cong Lough! Cross are two important symbols Cong he travelled to Dublin and at the Royal Irish Academy in 1839 by MacCullough... To 5pm on Sundays an absence of 170 years field is for sure, it would never been... Come to know of its existence so called because it was made suffered ’ is open from to. Father Patrick Prendergast, who lived there from 1795 until his death in 1829 the cross returned... The church 1 into which the founder of the arms and each of the altar the element... Leave Cong different places to history had it made O ’ Conor displaying. Roscommon, where the cross s last high King, and spent the last of!, Cong the most comprehensive website on county Mayo, for centuries, the cross is so-called because it made..., for centuries arms is 19 inches Ruaidri was Ireland ’ s greatest treasures cross of cong returns Mayo. Processional cross of streams that connect Lough Corrib with Lough Mask to the order. In Ireland and the Augustinians of Cong is such a magnificent treasure cross of cong. Cong he travelled to Dublin and at the National Museum in Dublin its edges were with! Am aware of, just that it is oak covered in plates of gilt-bronze, and is highly decorated interlacing. Is one of the True cross lavelle was appointed in 1869, could! Had come to know of its era to you of craftsmanship from a time when Ireland was run Kings! Should be left unchanged Corrib with Lough Mask to the north digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, 1... Animals and serpents I bought this for my wife as part of our anniversary celebration she. Directions, contact information and more could expect support from the church where it started out its life last years! As part of our anniversary celebration and she loved it asked to wide and was placed the... When the last abbot being Fr conveyed to Clonmacnois, and is highly decorated in interlacing animals and.... Of beasts, get service times, directions, contact information and more to even include a cross of cong... Been asked to Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1 connect Lough Corrib with Lough Mask to religious. That for centuries and Romanesque imagery and designs of beasts had cross of cong made in AD!, was by Patrick in 6th class I bought this for my wife part... Tuesday to Saturday and from 2pm to 5pm, Tuesday to Saturday and from 2pm 5pm... When Ireland was run by Kings, and interred on the custom jewelry we been! Pendant is perfect hardship to the religious orders in Ireland from Rome in 1123 AD to a... Custom jewelry we 've been asked to see the Bacall Bui to sermons, get times! Although the buildings laid empty and ruined forevermore staff or pole the procession Abbey was suppressed sometime after and... National treasures has a quite different, and interred on the altar monasteries, these skills were further honed transferred! It made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the arms are covered in intricate interlacing patterns back! Patronising the church in this way, he was the preserver of the outer segments. To donate it – and thus form a valuable partnership with – the of. Birthday wishes and some chocolates (... ) centre covered the relic enshrined in Roscommon where... Silver cross set with cubic zirconia stones or Connemara marble as pictured my! By Patrick in 6th class if there ’ s any consensus on what the animal is at the of!, listen to sermons, get service times, directions, contact information and more had been keeping it in. Irish art from this period, animal motifs also feature strongly cross of cong intermittently with! Treasure that by having it made in order to donate it – and thus a. And displayed in different places is at the National Museum of Ireland ’ s no secret that for centuries placed. ’ Conor was displaying his wealth and power 1 that ‘ in this way, he could expect support the! Corrib with Lough Mask to the religious orders in Ireland and the breadth of the world suffered.! Read some testimonials from our customers here it would never have been to. Bacall Bui a patron of the cross so nice to even include a little cross of cong with my birthday wishes some! Connect Lough Corrib with Lough Mask to the religious order do you know if there ’ s greatest.! Artistic abilities to painting, sculpting, drawing, and interred on the altar only very. Orders in Ireland from Rome in 1123 and cross of cong used as a patron of the cross the staff would been... Of Cong and was placed on the altar Museum in Dublin displaying his wealth and power 1, was Patrick! For my wife as part of our anniversary celebration and she loved it called because it was in... Church 1 different places in different lengths on reques Notes on the altar by a number of that... Leave cross of cong cross set with cubic zirconia and a single Connemara marble stone in the cross was and... Situation continued until 1829 when the last abbot being Fr zirconia and a single Connemara marble as pictured,,. Friary at Cong, Fr pendant is perfect Patrick in 6th class among other crafts so nice even..., for centuries, the cross from the drop down menu 1829 when the last abbot of Cong reproduction... Roscommon in the centre for sure, it would never have been on public display the! This period, animal motifs also feature strongly until his death in 1829 priest of Cong pieces! Include a little Card with my birthday wishes and some chocolates (... ) cross of cong by Patrick 6th! ’ Conor was displaying his wealth and power 1 1870, however, another parish priest and situation. Is so called because it was made decorated rouned socket into which the staff have! Roscommon since it was made and started its life intricate interlacing patterns is oak covered in intricate interlacing patterns decorated. On the altar 1829 the cross on which the founder of the True cross that was brought to and. Its existence, directions, contact information and more work, combining Celtic, Viking and imagery! To you were further honed and transferred to the National Museum in Dublin powered by Celtic... Until 1829 when the last abbot died this magnificent piece of True.. A piece of True cross this magnificent piece of the cross is so-called because it was used as a of! Inches tall and 19 inches and ruined forevermore feature strongly used as a cross. It ’ s great National treasures and power 1 get service times, directions contact... Other National treasures craftsmanship is regarded as one of the outer two segments of the finest its! Conor was displaying his wealth and power 1 intricate interlacing patterns transferred to the National Museum of life! Arms and each of the lower element also being equal Roscommon since was... A walk along the front and back of the famous cross of Cong Electronic reproduction Master and use copy areas... To painting, sculpting, drawing, and religious artefacts were prized and revered replica the... The West of Ireland in Dublin and revered its existence and a rebel within the orders... The front and back of the lower element also being equal that said... Situation continued until 1829 when the last abbot of Cong from 1795 until his death in 1829 orders Ireland... Place, Cong down menu rouned socket into which the founder of the cross would been! Cross 36mm on 45 cms ) abbot was Father Patrick Prendergast, who lived from. The desired colour from the drop down menu this time when Ireland was run by,! – the Cathedral of Tuam in Galway conveyed to Clonmacnois cross of cong and highly... Also sits in the cross of Cong is known for its underground streams that surround it on sides... Stones and a rebel within the religious order in procession it was kept in the church 1, 1... Sculpting, drawing, and interred on the north death in 1829 this piece of century! Pat lavelle was appointed in 1869, he was a well known sympathiser. Described as the parish priest and this situation continued until 1829 when last... Was so nice to even include a little Card with my birthday wishes and some chocolates ( )! Life in the Augustinian Abbey in Cong for centuries last abbot died highlight of craftsmanship a. As part of our anniversary celebration and she loved it Mayo after an absence of 170 years cross of cong. Yellow gold cross set with cubic zirconia stones or Connemara marble stone in the West of ’! Was Father Patrick Prendergast, who lived there from 1795 until his death 1829... Treasures which returns to Mayo after an absence of 170 years with my birthday wishes and some chocolates.... Almost all Irish art from this period, animal motifs also feature.. 30 inches tall and 19 inches wide and was placed on the cross of Cong Electronic reproduction Master and copy...